Chopped Steaks with Gravy and Mushrooms

I came across the yummy looking recipe over at High Heels and Grills (hurry, go check it out) and decided that this was SO going on the menu plan asap!

Hubby and the Boy will both love it, right? It's a manly man meal!




Surprisingly, I had everything on hand to make! Yeah!

Here's how I did it:

2 1/2 lbs of ground beef (umm, 90/10 is what I used because it's what I had)
2 egg, beaten
2 shallot, chopped (yes, I had one in the fridge!)
2 clove garlic, chopped
6 tbs parsley chopped
1 tsp ground mustard
3 tbs panko (japanese bread crumbs, YES I had them!)
1/4 c plus a dash  flour (I so wanted to try almond meal but will wait til next time)
2 tbs oil
2 tbs butter
salt  & pepper to taste

Then you need this to make the gravy (this made tons of gravy which was good with the noodles):
4 tbs butter
3 8 oz package of shrooms, sliced
3/4 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 c flour
4 c (or 1 carton) beef broth
salt & pepper

Whew. That was a lot of typing!

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine everything EXCEPT the oil and butter for the patties. Pat gently to form 10 patties.



Heat the butter and the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and then place in a baking dish.



Drain the skillet of any liquid. NOW it's time to make the gravy...yummm...we love gravy!  Add butter and reduce the heat to medium. When butter is melted, add the shrooms, onions and thyme. Cook til shrooms are soft.



Sprinkle the shrooms with flour and stir up. Let the shrooms cook for a couple minutes and then add 1/2 cup broth. Swirl around to make sure everything is loose in the pan and coated. Umm...don't do like me and stir. Just let the flour sit on top of the shrooms for a few minutes.  I also added a splash of white wine just because I had some open, and hey its a good thing!

Pour in the remaining broth slowly, while stirring. Make sure you are getting the browned bits off the bottom (hubby calls this magic stuff). Let simmer on medium low for about 10 minutes, stir frequently.

Pour the gravy over the steaks in the baking dish and cover with foil. Bake dish in the oven for 30 minutes (give or take 5 minutes) til cooked through.

I wanted to serve mashed potatoes and green beans but took the easy way out and made buttered egg noodles to serve alongside. I also offered up a nice little garden salad which ALL the men snubbed ... who wants salad when you have this other stuff to eat?? :D

Go ahead and put this on the menu plan ASAP ... you won't be sorry!

*NOTES: next time I make this, I will definitely add more salt and pepper ... and maybe chop up the shallots a little more as mine were a little chunky.  Also, when I made the patties, I actually just made them into balls first and stuck them in the fridge to get a slight head start on the dinner. Still took me about 45 minutes in the kitchen.  I also ate this for the next 3 days for lunch in addition to dinner that night and leftover dinner Tuesday night. Made a lot for Hubby and I (the Boy didn't like and Princess was sick and eating soup)

Looking forward to linking up with some great blog hops ... make sure you check them out!  In and Out of the Kitchen, I Gotta Try That, Tempt My Tummy, Memories, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays At Our Home, How To Tuesday, Handmade Tuesday, Making a Home, Show Me The Goods, Totally Tasty Tuesday, All My Bloggie Friends, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesdays, Tuesday Talent Show, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, The Gathering Spot, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Kitchen Tip Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Tuesday with a Twist, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, Show Me What You Got, What We Wore/Read/Made, What's Cooking Wednesday, Its a Party!, Recipe Swap, Works For Me Wednesday, Sugar and Spice, Wake Up Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Work It Wednesday, Homemade By You, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Hearth and Soul, Real Fun, What I Whipped Up, Work It Wednesday, Lovely Ladies, Weekly Creative, Domestic Superhero, All Things Thursday, The Weekly Creative, Tasty Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Create It Thursday, Crafty Thursday Obsessions, Frugal Food Thursday, Thursdays Treasures, Somewhat Simple, Showcase Your Talent, Simple Lives Thursday, Show Your Stuff, Foodie Friday, Get Real Frugal Friday, Frugal Fridays, Food on Friday, Freakin Did It Friday, The Pin Junkie, Freedom Friday, Friday Favorite, Foodie Friday, A peek into my paradise, Foodie Friends Friday, Fun Friday blog hop, Happy Frigay, TGIF BLOG HOP, Weekend Retreat, What’s shakin, Weekend Wonders, Weekend Potluck, Get Him Feed Anything Goes, Dwell on Fridays, Friday Foodfight, Lil Luna Link Party, Foodie Friday, Simple Living Foodie Friday, Inspirations, Weekend Wander, Simply Delicious Saturday, Weekly Roundup, Feature Yourself Saturday, I Gotta Create, Show and Tell Saturday, Show Off Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday, Sweet and Savory, The Weekend Creative, Weekend Potluck, Will Cook For Smiles, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Super Saturday Show & Tell, Say G'day Saturday, Not Bad Sunday, Potluck Party, Sunday Showcase, Savory Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Super Sunday, Mop It Up Monday, Creative Monday, The Scoop, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Dinner Time Recipes, Show Me What You Got, Made By You Monday, Hunk of Meat Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, On The Menu Monday, Meatless Monday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Marvelous Mess, Making It Cuter, Motivated Monday, Time To Sparkle, Mealtime Monday, Whats In The Gunny Sack, Makin You Crave Monday, Clever Chick, Creative Corner Blog Hop, Make Your Own Monday, Mix it Up Monday

Comments

  1. I love the variety of ingredients! I'd love to try this out. I'd have to puree the mushrooms to disguise them for my son (he has no clue he actually LIKES them...) lol. Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking up to What'd You Do This Weekend. Pinning! :-)

    Ashley @ PioneerMomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Looks delicious.I cant wait to try this one!

    Coming from Melt in Your Mouth Monday. Visit my blog and say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if it's a "manly man meal," it still looks good to me! Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs