DIY - Mayo ... Super Easy and Delicious!

I'm hoping that you all are enjoying the DIY series that I've been trying to keep up with ... I know this week I'm a little late ... I wanted to share the Ketchup this week but things have gotten away from me, so I will recycle an all time favorite:
 
MAYO.
 
Yes, mayonnaise!
 
I'm a mayo snob, I'll admit it. Do NOT ever put that Miracle stuff anywhere near my plate ... and no, I do not like Kraft either. Only Hellman's ... thank you very much.
 
BUT ... once I made the stuff from scratch (it's really easy, I promise!) I never ever looked at another sale jar of mayo again.
 
Oh. Well. Sort of ... I do buy the jar, I think maybe 2 in the last 12 months? Only because if we are doing something with heavy mayo, I'd be dying in the kitchen to keep up, you know?
 
For the most part though, it's the stuff from scratch. Hubby will even inquire if we have enough for say, Blackened Chicken Sandwiches (birthday party, 10 people), or Blue Cheese Dressing ... or ... well, a lot of stuff ... he likes it as much as I do, and I hope you do too!

The recipe calls for FIVE ingredients, that's all. F I V E! Go grab your jar of mayo from the fridge and look at the ingredient list. I'll wait. Ok, are you convinced maybe you should give this a try?

A few notes:

1.  Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.

2.  Give yourself 5 to 8 minutes of undivided attention as you need to do this slowly.

3.  Buy a large bottle of LIGHT Olive Oil. I know, it doesn't have ALL the benefits of extra virgin, but if you use regular, you will mayo that taste VERY strongly of olive oil ... and while some people might be ok with that, we were NOT.





Seriously, this is all you need.



This was made with regular olive oil ... see how it's got a yellowish/greenish tint?


When the oil goes on sale with a buy one get one free, I'm stocking up baby!
 

Ok, are you ready to give this a try?

1 egg
2 tsp lemon juice (yes, I do use the stuff in the bottle IF I don't have fresh lemons)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 cup olive oil


Put the egg and the lemon juice in your food process and walk away for an hour or so. Seriously. See up there ... PATIENCE? In order for the stuff to incorporate and emulsify, it MUST be room temperature. Honestly, I had mine out for 2 hours the first time, an hour or so is normal for me.



When it's all to room temp, go ahead and cap the processor. Drop the dry mustard and salt in the chute, fire up the machine and pour the 1/4 cup of oil in and let it rip for a minute.




Now comes the FUN part ... roll your shoulders, flex your triceps muscles and S L O W L Y start drizzling the 1 cup of oil down the chute. Be slow about it, you want a very thin stream of oil going in!

The stuff will start spattering around and you'll be tempted to stop and scrape but DON'T GIVE IN, keep drizzling it through the chute.




Suddenly, it sounds like slapping. Keep drizzling.


And just like that, the whole thing changes. The sound, the feel everything will suddenly become a smooth hum. You are almost there. Keep drizzling. Ignore the cramp in you triceps, keep drizzling. This is nothing folks, keep drizzling.


When you get down to that last bit, RESIST THE URGE to just dump. Keep drizzling.


When olive oil is all emptied out, let it continue for about 30 seconds more. Turn off processor and flex arm.


Rub hands together, give an evil grin  to the Hubby and take off the lid.




Hot Diggity Dog!! Creamy. Luscious looking. I slathered some right on a piece of turkey and ate it. Yummm. Oh, how about some deviled eggs using the mustard powder along side?? Oh, I think I might be on to something here!


This made a nice size jar of fresh mayo. It should keep as long as your egg was fresh. I have a feeling it would last a little longer than a week beyond what the egg carton says for the "sell by date" but if you follow food police guidelines, use that for your 'expiration' period.

Can you tell which is EXTRA virgin and which is LIGHT?



Honestly, this is an every 7 to 10 day occurrence in the kitchen. Nobody even thinks to remind me that there is an egg sitting on the counter ... they KNOW its for MAYO and I think do a little skip in their head as something yummy is fast approaching!


Go ahead, whip up a batch. I think you will be oh, so very surprised AND hooked.

Looking forward to linking up with some great blog hops ... make sure you check them out! In and Out of the Kitchen, I Gotta Try That, Memories, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays At Our Home, How To Tuesday, Handmade Tuesday, Making a Home, Show Me The Goods, Talking Tuesday Over the Fence, Totally Tasty Tuesday, All My Bloggie Friends, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesdays, Tuesday Talent Show, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, The Gathering Spot, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Kitchen Tip Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Tuesday with a Twist, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, What's Cooking Wednesday, Its a Party!, Recipe Swap, Works For Me Wednesday, Sugar and Spice, Wake Up Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Work It Wednesday, Homemade By You, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Hearth and Soul, Real Fun, What I Whipped Up, Work It Wednesday, Lovely Ladies, Weekly Creative, Domestic Superhero, All Things Thursday, The Weekly Creative, Tasty Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Create It Thursday, Crafty Thursday Obsessions, Frugal Food Thursday, Showcase Your Talent, Simple Lives Thursday, Foodie Friday, Get Real Frugal Friday, Frugal Fridays, Food on Friday, Freakin Did It Friday, Feature Friday, The Pin Junkie, Freedom Friday, Friday Favorite, Foodie Friday, A peek into my paradise, Foodie Friends Friday, Fun Friday blog hop, Happy Friday, TGIF BLOG HOP, Weekend Retreat, What’s Shakin, Weekend Wonders, Weekend Potluck, Get Him Feed Anything Goes, Dwell on Fridays, Friday Foodfight, Lil Luna Link Party, Foodie Friday, Friday with Friends, Simple Living Foodie Friday, Inspirations, Weekend Wander, Simply Delicious Saturday, Weekly Roundup, Feature Yourself Saturday, I Gotta Create, Show and Tell Saturday, Show Off Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday, Sweet and Savory, The Weekend Creative, Weekend Potluck, Will Cook For Smiles, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Show & Tell, Super Saturday Show & Tell, Say G'day Saturday, Not Bad Sunday, Potluck Party, Sunday Showcase, Savory Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Super Sunday, Mop It Up Monday, Creative Monday, The Scoop, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Dinner Time Recipes, Show Me What You Got, Made By You Monday, Hunk of Meat Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Marvelous Mess, Making It Cuter, Motivated Monday, Time To Sparkle, Mealtime Monday, Whats In The Gunny Sack, Makin You Crave Monday, Clever Chick, Creative Corner Blog Hop, Make Your Own Monday, Mix it Up Monday,  Save Money Monday

Comments

  1. I definitely plan to try this..mayo is one of the things I wanted to start making from scratch this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial, I can't wait to try this, I haven't ever made mayo and have heard it's so much better~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right… there is nothing like homemade mayo. Thank you for reminding me to make it. And thanks for being part of foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like to make my own Mayo and this looks like a great recipe. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this at What'd You Do This Weekend. My grandmother made her own mayo. I haven't had it for a long time.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely be making my own. Thanks for the recipe! Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wondered how to make my own mayo and I'm glad to see it's so easy. I almost jumped up from the computer to make it immediately but realized that I only have EVOO and not light olive oil. But I will definitely be making this soon!

    Thanks for linking up at the Save Money Monday link-up. Just wanted to let you know that you're one of this week's featured links.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs