Changing the Silver

You know that I'm doing a Year of Zero, right? And it has NOT been going as well as hoped, nor anywhere near as planned. But I keep plugging away, and every morning is the start of a new day, so I keep chugging along.

Because I've been feeling slightly deprived (which really, I don't understand WHY, it's not like I shop just to shop) .... I've been CLEANING ... yikes. You know, decluttering sort of. But not quite. Just seeing what I have that I've forgotten about. Is that cryptic or what?

I came across 2 silver flatware sets this morning, under the guest bed. Ummm, isn't that where YOU keep spare dishes and stuff?

I opened them up and admired them yet again. These were Hubby's grandmothers and we opted to keep them after she passed, thinking we will give a set to each kid when THEY get married. I still have those intentions, I think. :)



So I pulled the cases out and washed every last piece. Ummm, they are 8 and 16 piece settings. That's alot of silverware! And no, they did not need polished!



And as I was drying them, I thought, Hmmmm....it's a shame and a waste to have them tucked away for 'safe keeping' and right then and there, I made the decision.



I had to rob the laundry room and the junk drawer in the process.




I needed the little flatware holders.

I took the current set we use everyday, which is MY grandmothers silver set (plated) that was for holidays and family get together. I've been using it for 20 plus years. This set was relocated to the guest kitchen for our guest (ummm, like my DAD) to use when visiting. And here you have it.


Uh huh. Nice. The feel in your hand is just so different. And eating with them? Makes a simple dish pretty damn special feeling. I'm considering bringing the china over and putting the Corel over in guest kitchen too ... except the china has silver rims and can't go in the microwave. You know that would be a BAD thing, right?


So how about YOU, would you swap out your dishes and flatware? Does it do anything different for your attitude?

I've been living with REAL silver now for 4 days and can't tell you how good it feels. I don't know WHY but it Works For Me.

NOTE: I'm not savvy whatsoever on these 'little things' such as that tiny fork or the funky spoons ... the one oval with a sharp top? It's very tiny, almost a joke if you were to try and eat cereal with ... I think it might be for coffee or tea?

Comments

  1. I am not up to date either on what they are used for. But the tiny fork makes me think olives and the pointy spoon grapefruit? Maybe someone in the know will sound off. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. S ... could be right on the little fork (I only have ONE of them - do have 8 long handled mini forks though) but the spoon is not serrated on the edge. They are very small and have a pretty neat bevel like design in the bowl area. the pictures don't do it justice :) I've been using them for coffee and hot nutella :) Maybe it's for dessert?

      Delete
  2. Wow. I thought we were the only ones who kept stuff like that and never used it. (I feel better now.) We have plates and flatware that we use every single day, and than we have two sets of beautiful flatware, and china that we NEVER use.(Not even on the holidays.) Why have it? I know, I know, I don't understand us either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking and then just took the plunge. Trust me, I'm still a little worried, what if it starts to tarnish? I can't imagine polishing silver! :) But it's so very nice to be using it, really, just everything about it :) Highly recommend you take the plunge and use the special stuff, rubs off on your mood!

      Delete
  3. There are health benefits to using silver flatware as well as just making you feel all fancy n' stuff. :) Good for you making the decision for something obviously cherished by the grandmothers to be used and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...health benefits huh? So it's not all in my head that it makes me feel good :) Yes, I do believe she would be pleased that we are finally using them.

      Delete
  4. pickles! I was shopping for a grater the other day and saw something with the same fork tip and it was a pickle fork. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs